Tatkal ticket reservation and booking
Tatkal (meaning: immediate) ticket booking facility is available on payment of extra charges on ‘first come first served’ basis. This facility opens two days advance of commencement of train journey. This has been an a popular scheme by railways as the advance reservation system opens two to three months in advance of train journey and many travellers are unable to take travel journey decisions so much in advance
Salient features of Tatkal ticket reservation schemeTatkal bookings are allowed in all classes except First AC
- No identity proof is requited for Tatkal reservations at the railway booking counters. If booked online at IRCTC website identity proof will be required at the time of ticket checking within the train of any one passenger.
- Tatkal tickets can be booked up to two days in advance (excluding the date of journey) till the preparation of the chart.
- This facility is available in selected trains only.
- This facility is not available in Duronto Express trains
- Tatkal tickets can be booked on the opening day from 8.00 AM onwards.
- No railway concession is allowed in Tatkal booking including senior citizen concession..
- The ticket bookings under Tatkal Scheme will be done only from originating to terminating point of the train however you can choose boarding point from any intermediate station.
- Modification of ticket in any form is not permitted in Tatkal ticket.
- Tatkal tickets can be booked online at www.irctc.co.in. ITCTC is a government of India enterprise under the ministry of railways. For Queries regarding online bookings and services one can call 24 Hrs. IRCTC Customer Support at 011-23340000. Other contact numbers Monday to Saturday (10 AM – 6 PM), 011-23344787, 011-23345800 and Chennai Customer Care number 044-25300000
Tatkal charges applicable on ticket reservation
Tatkal ticket reservation Charges
|Class||Min Charges INR||Max Charges INR|
|AC Chair Car||75||150|
|AC 3 Tier||200||300|
|AC 2 Tier||200||300|
10 % of the basic fare for second class and 30% of the basic fare for second class and 30% of the basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum as mentioned below:
Tatkal ticket cancellation rules
On cancellation of Tatkal ticket, one would receive a flat refund of 25% of total fare charged excluding applicable Tatkal charges if the ticket is cancelled before 24 hrs of scheduled time for the departure of train. No refund is applicable on confirmed Tatkal tickets, if cancelled within 24 hrs of the scheduled departure.
For waitlisted Tatkal ticket cancellations, charges will be deducted as per existing Railway rules. Tatkal charges are non refundable in all type of cancellations
The following is broad Tatkal quota calculation. It varies on the amount of capacity utilization of a train over a period of time. Railways also fine tunes this from time to time.
- AC-2 tier four berths per coach
- AC-3 tier six berths per coach
- AC Chair Car six seats per coach
- Sleeper class 10 % of the accommodation or one coach whichever is less