Jammu to Amarnath via Baltal
Jammu to Baltal
The distance of 400 kilometres between Jammu to Baltal can be covered by Taxis and Buses provided by the Tourist Reception Centre, Jammu and Kashmir Government. One can also come to Srinagar by road and cover up the distance from Srinagar to Baltal by road. The route is given below
Jammu- Udhampur- Kud- Patnitop- Ramban- Banihal- KaziGund- Anantnag- Srinagar- Sonamarg- Baltal.
Baltal to Shri Amarnath Cave
This distance is shorter amounting to 14 kilometres from Baltal to Shri Amarnath. The journey is normally done on foot but options of hiring ponies and Palkies is also available. Dandies or sticks for support while walking too are available for the convenience of the travellers. It is a little difficult to go and return the same day, although not impossible. The route is full of pebbles and stones with steep heights and falls to be covered.
Facilities and Amenities provided on the journey to Amarnath
- Ration at fair prices from government depots
- Tea stalls and restaurants in the way.
- Firewood or gas at Chandan wari, Sheshnag, Panjtarni and near Shri Amarnath
- Traveller registered with Shri Amarnath Shrine Board, having a Yatra permit are entitled to an insurance of Rs 1,00,000 in case of death or any accident.
- Tents and insulated huts available on rent.
- Drinking water availability