Cancellation of Tatkal Ticket
Indian Railways introduced a new scheme – about a decade back – called Tatkal Ticketing System, which primarily was aimed at business class
Under this scheme, the travelers have to just book ticket only two days in advance, and the railways used to either attach dedicated Tatkal coaches, or would maintain quota of certain amount of berths spread across all the compartments, for Tatkal travelers. However, there are also situations when one has to cancel the Tatkal ticket. The rules governing cancellation of Tatkal tickets were different from that of cancellation of regular tickets. In this info-doc we are giving you complete details of the rules that govern the Cancellation of Tatkal tickets.
Terms and Conditions for Cancellation of Tatkal Ticket
On cancellation of a Tatkal ticket a flat refund of 25% of total fare charged on the ticket, excluding tatkal charge is granted on cancellation, provided the tatkal ticket is submitted for cancellation up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, for which the ticket was booked.
However there is an exception to the above rule, whereby the full ticket amount is refunded on cancellation of a Tatkal Ticket, if your journey ticket meets any of the criteria explained underneath.
- If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours at the trains’ originating point. It may please be noted that if your boarding point is not the same as that of the originating point of the train, then you are not liable for refund.
- Due to natural calamities, floods, riots, or any other unavoidable reason forces the railways to run the train on a diverted route and if you are not willing to travel by the alternate route, then you would not get any refund for cancellation of such a tatkal ticket.
- If the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route. Please understand this aspect in its entirety, and you will be entitled to full refund on Cancellation of tatkal ticket in such situation.
- In case of non attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class, you will get full refund.
- If for any reason, Indian Railways accommodates the passenger in lower class and does not want to travel, you will be entitled to full refund on cancellation of tatkal ticket. In case you agree to travel in lower class, then you will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any.